Monday 18 September 2017

Ryan Staake Inspiration



Ryan Staake


Ryan Staake is an American Director who works primarily with music videos. He adapts various styles to his work which I really like and is able to adapt to suit the style of the artists he works with. Some of his more poignant videos are a result of implementing an abstract concept and more comical style to the piece just like the video above. His unique style allows him to focus on conceptual pieces however he often works with Linear narrative videos also within the rap and hip pop genre. This is due to the meaning within the lyrics common in this genre of music which the artist wants to portray conceptually to bring interest to their specific music style within the very competitive genre within the video in order to market the piece.






A key feature I admire of Staake's work is his ability to colour grade his footage to give the desired emotion. In more positive shoots he uses warmer and more saturated looks to the footage such as in the video above and in some more meaningful pieces he uses a more raw and de-saturated grunge look to the final product. this is something I would like to implement in my own work using colour to help enhance the story and mood within my piece.





Cinematography is my main interest within media and is also a very strong point of Staakes work he uses very steady camera movement working with a 3 axis gimbal to provide very luxurious and professional style to his videos which reflect the genre conventions he typically works with.

To conclude the inspiration I will be taking from Staakes work is smooth long take camera movements usually paired with wide angle shots to help portray my talents performance elements as a whole as oppose to focusing on specific band members. In addition I would like to experiment with colour within my final music video to achieve a very emotive final piece which journeys through emotion as the song progresses and because of this i will work with a narrative theme to my video.

2 comments:

  1. OK so this needs some explanation of styles and techniques that you admire about the work of this director.

    ReplyDelete

Evaluation Q4

Use of digital media and technology to create my final products.