Monday 19 March 2018

The Tunnels- Digipak Final

Front
For my front cover I wanted to make a link to the video as oppose to it focusing on the artist. I felt this linked the genre of music i am working in as often you will see more "indie" albums including symbols as their front cover making no reference to the identity of the band. This is evident in my research of existing Digipaks. By using a reference to the video it would also help to market the album as the only visual reference an audience would have to the song would be the car and the band. Being that the car is the main subject of the narrative within my video I felt it made more sense to use this as the front cover and main symbol of the album. It would allow potential buyers to associate the video with the Digipak, making finding it a lot easier. I also made reference to the animations within the video by outlining the headlights using white circles in photoshop. I felt this accented the car bringing it out from the shadows which is essentially the story of the narrative. When choosing a font to represent the band I wanted something that looked almost handwritten or painted in order to suit the music genre I was working on. I wanted to create a retro styling similar to the Bruno Mars video 24k Magic. I really liked the aesthetic this video due to its retro colour grading and filmic look. On editing the photo I had in mind that I would use band photos from gigs throughout the rest of the Digipak so I would have to edit the front cover in order for it to appear seamless with the rest of the album. On grading all 4 photos I found there was a lot of lens flares and use of coloured lighting. To create a similar aesthetic in my front cover I decided to overlay a film burn overlay which simulated the lens flares and coloured lighting in the gig shots but gave a more realistic feel to the cover. Continuing with my use of retro fonts I used a blocky retro poster font in order to create the title of the album  I experimented a lot with font placement and style however felt these two fonts worked really well together to create the retro appeal I wanted to create throughout my video, Digipak and magazine advert.                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Back
For the back of my Digipak I wanted to use the band to create a sense of iconography to link to the front cover being a symbol of the music video. By using an image of one of the band members for the back cover I was able to split the focus of my Digipak so it focused on both the narrative of my video and and iconography of the band. To create the back of the Digipak I firstly chose a photo from a band gig I had previously photographed earlier in the year. I thought this shot worked really well as it was out of focus meaning there would be more attention placed on the song titles and details on the back of the album. This is due to the bokeh of the photo contrasting with the definite lines of the text. I chose to edit the photo to match the front cover so it created a seamless transition between the two. I first increased the brightness and contrast within photoshop in order to create depth to the photo, giving less detail to distract from the text. I next adjusted colour balance to suit the front cover giving a more orange tint to the frame to contrast with its darker blues in the shadows. This gave a more rustic and distressed look to the photo which linked to the style of car the narrative focused around. I further increased the clarity of the RAW photo in Photoshop giving a more washed out and defined look to the final edit. I then adjusted the blacks to give a slightly washed out look to the shot which is in fashion with the indie scene at the moment due to film and polaroid photos becoming increasingly on trend. I then used the same font to title the back with the band name, this font further enhanced the distressed and home made style look I was aiming for across my media products. I used a thinner font which I increased the kerning of the text which created a sense of contrast giving an equal emphasis on the brand logo and song titles within the album. To finish the back I added the production company logo in the bottom corner within Illustrator and then placed a barcode in the opposite corner where it is normally placed. Overall I am very happy with the back of the album as I think it is understated in contrast to the front meaning the buyer is drawn to the front of the album before flipping it to look at the back so the album is then read chronologically which is what I intended. 

Inside Left
For the inside left cover of my Digipak I wanted to take a minimalist approach. I did this by using a still taken from the bands performance and not including any extra information. I felt that the purchaser would only come into contact with this area of the Digipak after purchasing it so there would be no need to further sell the music by including further information. I thought it be more important to put the focus on the CD and the music its self as oppose from distracting from the listening. The music created by Tunnels primarily focuses on a more positive environment so on opening the viewer would be greeted by a smile from the lead singer Becca Clarke instantly evoking a positive feel good tone to the music to follow. Indie bands are also known for being very heavy on live performances so by referencing this it creates a connection with the live performances the Tunnels will often do, giving the music increased energy when listening to it. To edit this photo I followed the same process as the back cover in order to replicate the same look I wanted to have throughout. I feel this inside cover really helps to compliment the disc its self and the rest of the album and does not distract too much from the disk which is the main subject in the inside of the Digipak. 

Disc and Inside Right

For the inside right cover I wanted to continue with the performance photos using photos from the same gig meaning the lighting and photo style were similar so I was able to edit each shot so the inside cover appeared to be a single photo. The inside right cover photo is of one of the lead guitarists. This photo needed to be subtle as it would be obscured mainly by the disk when not in use. I did not want it to distract from the disk its self.

For the disk I wanted to create something that had a memorable texture and look to it so the buyer would remember the disk. It is based primarily off the same photo as the album cover however I decided to edit the photo using a tri-colour split. This was achieved in photoshop by duplicating the layer and then adjusting the colour balance drastically before overlaying each shot in a lower opacity and slightly offsetting each layer to give a glitchy and animated effect. By creating an abstract styling to the disk cover it would hopefully mean the image would not be lost within the viewers mind and the disk would stand out as often a buyer will have a collection of disks. This means the music would be remembered in greater depth as the disk would carry a poignancy to it making it more enticing to play. To finalise the disk design I brought it into Illustrator where I used a clipping mask in order to


No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation Q4

Use of digital media and technology to create my final products.