Wednesday 14 March 2018

Rough Cut Three- animations added



From analysing my previous rough cut I felt that I needed to create a greater sense of personality from the narrative and find a way to tie in the Indie genre and music and the grunge narrative together. The way I wanted to do this was by hand drawing animations over the frames of the video in both the narrative and performance elements of the video. This style of animation helps to enhance the presence of the overall video and is currently on trend with hyper edited videos as it helps enhance the visual elements of each shot the animation is implemented in, essentially bringing it to life. I first became aware of this animation style through watching travel videos created by a YouTube content creator JR ALLI. Below I have linked one of his pieces where he implements this to show how I was inspired. 

To achieve these animations I used Adobe After Effects where I used the brush tool to draw over the video frame by frame, creating an overlaid animation which I felt helped to bring the visuals and performance to life. I did not want to inundate my piece with these animations as i felt it would distract from the visuals as the audience would become detached from the story in anticipation for how the next animation would influence the shot. I used animations in 4 instances in order to create a burst of vibrancy within the shot. Firstly I wanted to enhance how the performance and song its self were connected. This was done by animating a short explosion from the bass guitar as it was plucked. I felt this subtle animation really tightened the connection between the soundtrack and the performance as it almost directly linked them as, as an audience you would be able to gauge how the track is being created and how each instrument has its own impact and significance within the track.

My second animation was to create an aesthetic enhancement to the subjects of the narrative being Oliver and his car. This animation outlined Oliver, who is the main protagonist, and the car, separating them from the cluttered background. I felt this drew the audience attention towards the two subjects provoking a greater interest and viewer connection with the narrative. The audience is instantly made aware of the importance of these two aspects of the narrative and thus their attention is drawn towards these aspects focusing their mind and attention towards the meaning of the story. I also thought by crafting these animations within both the performance and narrative sections of the video it bridged the gap between the two making the overall product more cohesive. Giving the overall video a better flow.
The final instance where I implemented this animation style onto the video was creating an emotion for the car. Initially this had been the only animation I planned to do however after experimenting a bit with the impact it had on the video clips I then create more examples within the video to give an enhanced atmosphere and emotion to specific moments within the song and video. When planning my idea using an animatic I had always planned to shoot a ext close-up of the car appearing sad. When the final version of this shot was placed within the video I didn't think the expression sadness came across as predominantly as I had hoped so I therefore thought of the possibility of animating a subtle expression over the top of the video. By animating in this style you get a lot of variation with the look of each frame which gives a sort of unstable, hand draw appeal (which quite frankly was exactly what the animation is) however I wanted to avoid the animation looking like it was made to look realistic. By drawing over the top of each frame the audience is made aware of the emotion i'm trying to convey without finding a superimposed failed animation humorous which would then distract from the overall video. Overall i'm very pleased with how overlaying animations have affected the final product as I think it helps further link my video to the indie genre I am working in



No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation Q4

Use of digital media and technology to create my final products.