Monday 8 January 2018

Production Log Day 1



To tackle this project I split shooting into 3 sections each of which would require a different shooting style or location. The sections I divided the shooting into were : performance, internal narrative and external narrative. The first day of shooting I wanted to tackle the internal narrative is this is the main body of the narrative and would be easier to work in chronological order. For this shoot I came across a lot of problems initially which caused me to alter and change shots as we went along. Initially the first problem was underestimating the amount of light I had available. The first slow motion shot I had planned was incredibly hard to achieve as there was very little light available outside. When shooting within the garage the light was a bit more forgiving as we were able to control our lighting angles and amounts by using work lights which came in handy when shooting interior shots of the car. A third problem I came across was the space within the garage and how much the car occupied. Unfortunately within my storyboard I had greatly over estimated the space available within the garage and when getting wide shots I wanted to avoid using a really wide lens to prevent amateur looking distortion to the footage. Overcoming this problem was tricky and I am still concerned that it affects the continuity of the video as to achieve wider shots I opened the garage door and stood outside the building which I hoped would give the impression of a wider shot. I made use of a smoke machine which helped enforce the more rustic and gritty feel I was aiming for the narrative section to look like. I was really pleased with this outcome as when combined by the work light  and next to the car, the three really tied together to make some really beautiful images. Unfortunately I was not able to find another actor so being someone of the age range I was looking for for my second actor, I decided to step in.

Overall I was hugely impressed with the outcome and the footage I had captured. I felt that watching it back on a screen after shooting really brought my vision to life and gave me a new burst of creativity which I will inflict on my next shoot. For my exterior shoot I will be even less able to control lighting and will be forced to use natural street lighting only which could oppose a problem however there is no other viable option so I will have to figure this out as my next steps in production. So far I my project is exactly where I want it to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation Q4

Use of digital media and technology to create my final products.