Monday 5 March 2018

Rough cut two


For this cut I focused mainly on colour and correcting shots I did not feel worked as seamlessly or carried as much impact within the video its self. I wanted to create a more coherent flow within the piece which I felt could be achieved through colour grading. I wanted the transition between narrative and performance to be a lot less harsh so by colour grading each sequence to portray a similar look which meant the shots would fit together a lot more smoothly reducing its potential to disconnect the audience from the video. By having footage that looks similar colour wise means the audience does not get distracted by harsh colour changes. The idea of a music video is to promote the sound track its self so the video does need to maintain a focus on the soundtrack, something harsh colour transitions could distract from. 
To grade the footage I used a cinematic style grade in the sense I tinted the shadows to a more teal colour and the highlights to an orange tone. This created a nice cinematic feel to my overall video which linked to the style of video I was trying to create being very filmic and heavily visually focused. To enhance the depth of the video I then increased the contrast across the shots as being that I shot primarily in low light conditions it was very important that I did not have too much contrast within frame or I would start to lose detail within the shot which could give an under exposed appearance. Being that the genre of music the band works in is indie rock I wanted to give a slightly retro look to the shots within the video. I did this by adding a slight faded film look to my shots, achieved through the faded film filter in Premiere Pro. In some cases I found this feature to cause some irregularity with he blacks within the shadows which meant I had to reduce the amount of fade I implied within the each shot. Because the song aspires happiness and hope I wanted to give a warm feel to the image so made sure each shot had a slightly warmer feel to it than it was initially shot with. This meant the exterior shots of the car driving appeared less hostile and more welcoming and warm. Overall I am very pleased with the aesthetic of my video and feel by grading each shot individually it has lead to a more convincing and professional looking product.

I have changed some shots within the video towards the end. This is because I do not think their aesthetic matched the rest of the video. Being that a shot some footage on a GoPro I found that it was a lot less capable of dealing with low light conditions so on reviewing the footage it almost has a different picture style to the overall look I wanted the video to have. 

Overall I am very pleased with how this video is coming out to look after a few adjustments. As mentioned previously in research and my pitching ideas I would like to implement some aspect of overlay within the final product so my next steps are to experiment with animate overlays to help bring the storyline to life and bring a greater focus to the soundtrack meaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Evaluation Q4

Use of digital media and technology to create my final products.